Thursday, July 20, 2023

The four PCBs work!

    I ordered the four projects and wrote about it in my previous post here, and of course the PCBs arrived on the first day of my 4-day weekend, so I couldn't test them out until yesterday.

    Here's the rundown.

    One of the orders was for my MS-20ish business card PCB, which is unchanged from the prototype I ordered, and works great. Not exactly unchanged, this version is lead-free, which is nice if you are giving people things they may put in their pocket and handle a lot. I hope JLCPCB is actually sending out lead-free PCBs and it's not just marketing. There's lead tests out there maybe I should get one.

    I'm planning to offer a limited project for Knobcon 11. One of the candidates is the ZV.HP module, which I wrote about in my previous post. It's a two-pole high-pass filter based on half of a Polyfusion design. It works wonderfully, with this weird quirk that I forgot to include an audio out... pretty dumb to be honest... I suppose I was excited to get it designed. The good news is that it performs very very well, with the same stable predictable self-oscillation I get from my tin-can version. Even when set to a very very low cutoff frequency. It'll be able to rumble warehouses and blow subwoofers.

    The DumpsterDelay works pretty well with a strange thing happening with the input stage. I'm going to have to do at least one more prototype of that one. Maybe I'll just hurl another op amp buffer for the input stage. I have a bad habit of just adding op amps even places there might be a more elegant solution. They're so useful though, and so so cheap as to be nearly free!

    HA!!!! Storytime. Last Friday we watched Descendants, a Disney TV Original Movie with some of the most delightful performances from some talented youngsters, singing dubsteppy musical numbers. Lots of over-the-top acting, Dove Cameron and Kristin Chenoweth my work, what a silly great movie. Anyway, our anti-heroes break into a museum, the alarm sounds, and the kid who mutes the alarm has to answer the phone call from the alarm company (one would assume) assuring them things are okay. He says something like "There was a malfunction in the TL714 microchip." He said that and I hollered HHEEYYYYYY he got that wrong!!! The script most likely said TL741, not 714 because while the TL714 is a microchip out there (it's a comparator) it's much much much less common than the 741. An alarm system is likely to have dozens of 741 chips (or compatible) so the writer must have asked an engineer "hey, name a chip" and they went "okay, TL741" but the kid misread it anyway I wonder if that really is an error and if it's been caught by anyone else.....

    meh, I looked up the script, and sure enough, the script says TL714. Oh well.

    My NyquistNightmare works so well, I'm absolutely thrilled with it. I yoinked the VCF CV input (who's gonna be enveloping the VCF? Not me that's for sure) and added two CV to control the cross-modulation. This will allow really weird signal mixing if you plug audio-rate signals into the CV inputs. Or you can put an LFO signal into them and get AM/FM tuning sounds, or maybe modem sounds... I love this module so much. So anyway, I guess I need to make another video about the NyquistNightmare. And that one is READY TO ORDER!!! WHEE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Introducing OctaPass Eurorack module 8x fixed frequency HPF

   It's a eight-channel fixed-frequency switchable high-fidelity high-pass filter!